Skip to main content

Just a Fourth of July wish for us all

 It's the time of corn on the cob, red white and blue flags, hot dogs, and beer.  And fireworks.  Of course fireworks. Overall, a time for Americans to celebrate the end of our eighteenth century revolt against the authority and overlord-ship of England.

I hope that you will all enjoy your hamburgers and beer, as I know that you will all reflect for a second or two on the wonder of free speech and the right to assembly.

Freedom (well, relative freedom) is a pretty nice thing.

So, Dear Reader, enjoy your fourth.  If you're curious, check out any of these entertainments:  I watch them every single year and remember that without John Adams, we'd all be pretty screwed in this country:

https://dai.ly/x2ngcau. 1776.  A campy but marvellous musical based on the broadway play.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00687PWQG/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

A wonderful doc-series on the life and times of John and Abigail Adams.

Try them out Dear Reader, and enjoy your day tomorrow!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into the Minds of Moria: Hitler's good little orc, Reinhard Heydrich

Hannah Arendt, who wrote an account of the trial of Eichmann in Jerusalem, characterized Nazism as "the banality of  evil."  What exactly does that mean? BANALITY:  "the quality of being boring, ordinary, and not original."   https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/banality  At least according to the Cambridge University dictionary.  But, do I agree with Arendt's use of that term? Yes and no.  Hitler's inner circle were extraordinarily ordinary men, not gifted with either intellect or extensive education (excepting perhaps Albert Speer).  And yet, these men were truly gifted in their collective hatred and paranoia ...of just about everything and everyone. But, there were special orcs,  even within the circle of Hitler's closest minions.  This is the story of one of the worst: Hitler’s favorite orc. All right.  You caught me.  That orc is actually from the World of Warcraft. OK. Let me introduce you to this f...

Dec. 25th: just 'who's birthday is it' anyway? Mithra, or the other guy?

Let’s take a gander at a couple of dieties.  Uh, guys.  No, Prophets.  Sigh.  Use whatever label makes you comfortable, Dear Reader. A Near Eastern god, Mithra, was born of the earth (a rock, actually) bearing a torch and a knife--note the duality here, i.e. light and dark. Jesus of Nazareth was of woman born, in a manger.  HOWEVER, notice one similarity here:  both figures were born of what each religion held to be sacred-- Mithra from the earth (goddess?), and Jesus from a divine and sexless birth, yet still using a woman as the vessel.  Remember, though, that  Mithra was a mythical figure, whereas Jesus was most likely a man living in Nazareth, a city in a province of the Roman Empire--Judea. But, were both guys were born on the same day? Well...that's what some scholars think. First and foremost:  allow me to wish you all Happy Holidays.  But, since this entry is around December 25th… NOTE:  as an historian, I am predictably ant...

'Do You Deny then, Mr. Chivington, that you're a vicious psycho hose beast?' No sir, Mr. Congressman sir, I swear I didn't know there was anyone there! The tragic massacre at Sand Creek, 1864.

What images come to your mind, when you dream of the American West, Dear Reader? Something like this? I know that this is one of the more recognized fantasies about the western experience.  Hopefully by now, we all know that this depiction is COMPLETE bulls*&t. THERE WERE ALREADY PEOPLE THERE, FOLKS. When I think of the American western experience, I always have these images in my head: For my druthers, I prefer pictures like the above.  Images that compel impressions of space and wild beauty. Buffalo, coupled (of course) with that endless sky.  Whenever I think about the American West, I think poetically.  I think tectonically.  It's impossible to gage this landscape against the span of a single human life.  But, that is essentially what we have to do here, isn't it Dear Reader? We must create condensed sketches of larger events, even if those happenings are tragic in nature.    Which brings us to Sand Creek. The events surrounding the M...